Landlord Certificates & Services. All in one place.

The easy, hassle-free way to book and manage gas, electrical and energy services.

Book in minutes

The easy, hassle-free way to book and manage gas, electrical and energy services.


Get an up-front, online price with next day appointment!


Gas Safety Certificate & Boiler Servicing

from £34.99 inc vat

Unchecked or poorly maintained gas appliances might endanger life by causing a gas leak or a fatal explosion.


Electrical Safety Certificate & PAT Testing

from £69.99 inc vat

Faulty wiring or equipment might result in an electrical fire in a home. All installations must be well-maintained.


Energy Performance Certificate

from £59.99 inc vat

Find out how much it will cost to heat and power the property, as well as receive helpful energy-saving tips.

Gas engineer taking case off boiler for safety check

Why choose us?

From booking through inspection to receiving
your certificate, we simplify the entire process.

  • Which? Trusted Trader
  • Next Day Appointments 
  • Pay On Completion
  • Rated 'Excellent' on Trustpilot

Learn more

How MultiCerts works

An easy, hassle-free experience!

Easy Online Booking

No more endless calls to find an engineer.

Confirmed Appointments

No more all-day waits for engineers not to show.

Fixed Pricing

No hidden charges and last minute costs.

What our customers say

We're rated 'Excellent' on Trustpilot.

Our Coverage Area 

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Landlord Certificate?

Landlord certificates include a range of documents that landlords must obtain before letting out their properties. The most common are, Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) , Gas Safety Certificate (CP12) and Energy Performance certificate (EPC).

Which Landlord Certificates do i need?

Landlord require these certificates:

1. Gas Safety Certificate (CP12):
- Shows work done by a Gas Safe-registered engineer to ensure gas appliances meet safety standards.
- Landlords must have an annual gas safety check, and results are recorded in the Gas Safety Record.

2. Electric Installation Condition Report (EICR):
- An EICR identifies potential dangers, defects, and damages in a property's electrical installation. It also offers recommendations for improvement.
- As of April 1st, 2021, landlords are legally required to obtain an EICR every five years.

3. Portable Appliance Testing (PAT):
- Recommended for properties with portable appliances.
- An electrician conducts a PAT, providing a report with test results and a pass/fail label.
- Landlords should supply tenants with records of inspections.

4. Energy Performance Certificate (EPC):
- Rates a property's energy efficiency on a scale from 'A' to 'G'.
- All rental properties must have a rating of at least 'D'.
- EPCs are valid for 10 years, but major energy-efficiency upgrades may warrant a new certificate.

How long are Landlord certificates valid for?

Your EPC is valid for 10 years, Gas safety certificates for 1 year and EICRs last for 5 years.

As a Landlord do i need to supply a carbon monoxide alarm ?

Yes, a carbon monoxide alarm is required in any living space with a fixed combustion appliance, excluding gas cookers. A fixed combustion appliance is any appliance where fuel is used to generate heat, examples of these are gas boilers and gas fireplaces.

Does the landlord have the authority to enter the property for safety checks?

Your agreement with the tenant should grant you access for necessary maintenance or safety checks. It's important to note that entry should not involve the use of force. To comply with the law, landlords should take reasonable steps, as recommended by the HSE. These include leaving a notice for the tenant after attempting a safety check, providing contact details, and writing to the tenant, emphasising the legal requirement for safety checks. Keeping records of all correspondence with tenants is strongly advised.

When will I get my certificate/report?

Usually it’ll be in your inbox within 48 hours. You can view and download your certificate in your dashboard, too.

Will you let me know when the engineer is on the way?

Sure. We’ll call or text when we’re 30 mins away to give you a heads up.

Do you cover my postcode?

We cover all areas of London inside the M25 motorway

Will you liaise with tenants ?

Of course - let us know their contact details, and we’ll take care of the rest.

Will you remind me when my certificate/service needs to be renewed ?

Yes! We’ll let you know when your certificate is due to expire, and then get it booked in for you at a time that suits.

Do you offer a more specific appointment time ?

We offer AM (8-12) and PM (12-5) appointment slots with a 30-minute notice when we're on our way. Due to the duration of previous jobs and traffic, we're unable to guarantee an exact arrival time. However, please do not hesitate to contact us for a more specific arrival time, as we will do our best to accommodate your needs.

Are your engineers qualified?

Absolutely. All of our engineers are fully qualified, vetted and registered with the relevant governing bodies, so you know you’re dealing with engineers you can trust.

What Happens If My Property Fails It's Gas Safety Check?

Your Gas Safety record will indicate whether each appliance has passed or failed the safety inspection, and any appliances deemed "Not Safe to use" will be coded with the findings listed below:

"At Risk" (AR) indicates the presence of one or more recognized faults that pose a danger to life or property. In such cases, the gas engineer will turn off the installation with your permission, and advise that it should not be used until the fault has been repaired.

"Immediate Dangerous" (ID) means that the installation is considered an immediate danger to life or property if operated or left connected to the gas supply. In such cases, the gas engineer will disconnect the appliance with your permission and advise that it not be used until the necessary repairs have been carried out. If you refuse to allow the appliance to be disconnected, the gas engineer has a duty to report the situation to the Gas Emergency Service Provider (ESP), who has legal powers to demand entry for the safety of all and may disconnect the gas supply to the property. Continuing to use an appliance that is deemed "Immediate Dangerous" could put lives in danger.

What Happens If I Do Not Have A Valid Certificate?

Non-compliance with the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 is taken very seriously due to the potential danger of gas or carbon monoxide leaks. Landlords have gas safety responsibilities to ensure that their tenants are living in a safe environment, which includes carrying out a annual gas safety check and providing a valid certificate (CP12). Failure to comply with these regulations can result in severe consequences, including a substantial fine of up to £6,000 per breach, imprisonment for up to 6 months, or both. Non-compliance could also result in invalidated insurance cover. In cases where loss of life occurs, the responsible party could be charged with manslaughter.

What Does A Gas Safety Check Involve?

When you hire a Gas Safe Registered Engineer, they will inspect all gas appliances on the premises to ensure that they are safe to use and protected against gas or carbon monoxide leaks. The engineer will start by visually checking for any obvious faults before moving on to the following:

Checking the chimneys and flues for blockages: The engineer may use smoke pellets to check if the smoke escapes the flue correctly. If any smoke returns to the origin, it indicates a blockage that needs to be cleared.

Inspecting gas connections and infrastructure: The engineer will check that the gas supply is delivering gas safely and directly to your gas appliances. They will ensure that all connections follow safety regulations.

Checking ventilation and oxygen supply: The Gas Safe engineer will verify that enough oxygen is supplied to properly burn gas.

Inspecting gas appliances: After completing all checks, the engineer will list the manufacturer and model information for each gas appliance. They will also test the appliances to ensure that they work properly and burn gas correctly, as per the manufacturer's instructions.

What Happens After The Gas Safety Check Inspection?

After completing the inspection, the gas safe registered engineer will issue the Gas Safety Certificate (CP12), which will be in digital format and sent by email or available to download in your online account with us.

The Gas Safety Certificate - CP12 should contain details such as the description and location of each appliance or flue that was inspected, the name, registration number, and signature of the engineer who performed the checks, the date when the checks were conducted, the property address, the landlord's or agent's name and address, information about any safety defects found, and details of any remedial actions taken. Additionally, the results of all operational safety checks carried out on the gas appliances should be included in the certificate.

Which Gas Appliances Need To Be Checked?

When arranging for a Gas Safety Certificate, you will need to specify the number of appliances that need to be inspected. All your gas appliances that burn fuel, such as gas or LPG boilers, gas hobs or cookers, and gas fires are considered appliances for this type of inspection. For example, if you have both a gas boiler and a gas hob, you will need to have two appliances inspected.

How much Does a Gas Safety Certificate cost?

The cost of a gas safety check and certificate can vary and is dependent on the Gas Safe engineer you choose. Typically, the cost ranges from £50 to over £150, based on the number of gas appliances that need to be checked. If there is only one appliance, such as a gas boiler, you can expect to pay around £60 for the gas safety check and certificate. However, if there are additional gas appliances, such as a gas fire or hob, the cost will increase. 

Multicerts has a fixed cost for Gas Safety Certificates,(£69/1-2 appliances - £89/3-4+ appliances) unlike many competitors who charge per appliance. If you're a tenant, your landlord is responsible for arranging and paying for the annual inspection.

Who Can Issue A Gas Safety Certificate Near Me?

Gas safety checks required for Gas Safety Certificates must be completed by an engineer who is registered with Gas Safe register (previously known as CORGI Registered). Before allowing them to work in your home, it's important to check the heating engineer's Gas Safe registered ID card to see what work they are qualified to perform.

In the UK, the gas safety certificate is a crucial legal requirement for landlords. Only registered gas engineers are authorized to conduct the yearly gas safety inspection and issue the gas safety certificate - a regular plumber cannot perform this inspection or issue the CP12.

Every landlord in the UK is obligated to have a CP12 certificate that must be renewed annually. While homeowners with gas appliances are not legally required to obtain a gas safety certificate, they are advised to have their property inspected and obtain one.

Why Do I Need A Gas Safety Certificate?

For many reasons, including legal compliance, it is essential that your property obtain a gas safety certificate. The fact that you are legally required to have a one for your property is a key factor in your decision. This should be enough incentive on its own.

The requirement for a gas safety certificate for your property stems from three main factors:

First of all, a gas safety certificate aids in preventing gas leaks, which can be very dangerous, especially in buildings with several tenants. In the UK, explosions and fires are the most common domestic accidents, and one of the main causes is gas leaks. The gas engineer will visually inspect the pipes and ensure they are securely fastened to avoid gas leaks during the inspection.

A Gas Safety Certificate also aids in reducing the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. In order to identify poisonous gases like carbon monoxide, a safety check is necessary because carbon monoxide emissions are invisible and cannot be detected by human senses. Such emissions are harmful to your tenants' health, but once they are discovered, an engineer can address the problem.

Last but not least, a lack of a gas safety record may prevent the property from being renting out or from selling. A property that is not gas safe is not likely to be taken into consideration by potential buyers or tenants. Therefore, the only way to reassure potential tenants or buyers that your property is secure is to obtain a gas safety certificate.

How Long Does A Gas Safety Certificates Take?

The time needed for a typical gas safety check will depend on the number of appliances that need to be examined and how simple they are for the engineer to access. Usually, there are between 25-45 minutes. 

How Long Does A Gas Safety Certificate Last For?

Certificates of gas safety are only valid for one year, and landlords should retain records of at least the previous two years safety certificates.

What If I Don’t Own A Gas Safety Certificate/CP12?

Not obtaining a Gas Safety Certificate, such as a CP12, puts the lives and well-being of tenants and family members in danger. It also means that you are violating the law since having a valid CP12 is mandatory for those renting properties in the UK.

The regulations that oversee gas safety certificates are stringent, and landlords violating the CP12 regulations can face severe consequences for not complying. One of the most frequent penalties is in the form of substantial fines, but in extreme cases, imprisonment and insurance invalidation can also be imposed.

If a loss of life or property arises from the absence of the certificate, you can be charged with negligence, and in some cases, even with manslaughter.

Fortunately, you can avoid such situations by obtaining a gas safety record for your property. If you are still determining which registered gas engineer to use for your gas safety check, feel free to contact us, and we will gladly assist you!

Can You Sell Your House Without A Gas Safety Certificate?

The straightforward answer is yes; homeowners are not legally obligated to obtain gas safety certificates for their properties and private homeowners can still sell their houses without one.

However, obtaining a certificate is good practice and highly recommended as it has many benefits. Firstly, it ensures that your property is safe for your family's use. Additionally, having a gas safety check and certificate can make the selling process smoother, as potential buyers are often concerned with the safety of the property they are interested in purchasing.

What Is The Purpose Of An EICR - Electrical Safety Certificate?

The aim of the EICR report is to ensure legal compliance by providing a complete record of all checks conducted. The report will also outline any necessary corrective measures or changes that landlords may need to undertake to obtain certification or improve the property's safety standards in case any electrical safety faults or potential concerns are discovered.

During an electrical safety inspection, the following objectives will be pursued:

-Identify potential safety hazards in the property's permanent installations, such as lights, sockets, fixtures, and electric storage boiler.

-Detect any electrical work that was poorly executed and poses a threat to the property's occupants.

-Verify that there is no overloading of electrical circuits or equipment.

-Check that the earthing and bonding are appropriately performed, and that circuit breakers can trip in the event of a surge.

-Identify any electrical installation components that do not comply with the Wiring Regulations of the Institution of Engineering and Technology.

Is an EICR a legal requirement?

As of April 2021, an EICR has been made a legal requirement in England for all rental properties under "The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020".

This means that landlords must have a qualified and competent person inspect and test the electrical installations in their properties at least once every five years. Failure to obtain an EICR can result in the landlord being held responsible for any unreported electrical faults, with potential fines of up to £30,000.

Local authorities also have the power to carry out emergency work on the property, with the costs falling on the landlord. If you are a landlord and have not obtained an EICR for your property, it is important to do so to avoid any potential legal consequences.

What Electrical Issues Can An EICR Inspection Discover?

During an assessment for an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR), several issues related to the electrical system may be detected.

These may encompass assessing the efficiency of bonding and earthing, confirming the existence of residual current devices (RCDs) that cater to outdoor sockets, scrutinising the condition of apparent cables, illumination fittings, and downlighters, evaluating electrical equipment and installations for signs of deterioration, appraising the suitability of control gear and switchgear, ascertaining the functionality of sockets, switches, light fixtures, and other electrical equipment, identifying any alterations made to the property or premises that might result in shortcomings in the electrical setup, and detecting instances of "daisy chaining," which arises when one extension cord is interconnected with another.

EICR Codes Explained.

Note that once the various electrical testing and inspections for the certificate are finished, the electrician responsible for assessing the property may require a few days to issue the electrical safety certificate. This is because it could take some time to upload and analyse the findings online.

C1 - This code represents the highest level of importance in an EICR inspection, indicating that there is a present danger and immediate action is required. Failure to fix the issue quickly could result in the risk of electric shock or fire. Examples of C1 codes include damaged insulation, exposed live electrical parts, and broken light switches/plug sockets. To address a C1 code, the issue must be fixed, or the relevant part/circuit must be isolated and turned off.

C2 - This code indicates that remedial action is urgently required as the defect has the potential to become potentially dangerous in the future. While it may not be immediately harmful like a C1 code, the absence of mains-protected bonding or earthing or an RCD that does not trip when tested are examples of C2 codes.

C3 - This code suggests that improvement to the electrical system is recommended, but it is not required for the EICR test to pass. It indicates that a section of the installation does not comply with the wiring codes, but it does not pose an imminent hazard. However, enhancing it would improve the electrical installation's safety. Consider this code to be like an advisory note on an MOT. You are not obligated to get it repaired, but it is strongly advised.

FI - This code indicates that there is a problem that requires immediate further inquiry. The electrical engineer will need to conduct further investigation to assess the severity of the issue.

How Long Is The Electrical Certificate Valid For?

According to the current guidelines, the Electrical Installation Condition Report for rental properties is valid for five years. However, it is recommended to renew the report at the beginning of each new tenancy.

Who Can Issue A Report?

In accordance with the guidelines, the electrical safety certification report must be completed by a competent and qualified person.

This means that the Electrical Certificate should be filled out by a qualified electrician who has taken the required courses and training on the periodic testing and inspection of electrical installations.

In order for qualified electricians to ensure compliance with the most recent safety standards in the industry, such as the IET 18th Edition, they also need to be registered with scheme providers.

The NICEIC, Stroma, Napit, and Elecsa accreditation organisations are the most well-known in the UK.

To perform an Electrical Certificate, an electrician does not need to be accredited; however, they must possess the necessary credentials.

How Much Does An EICR Certificate Cost?

To ensure the safety of your family or your rental property, it is important to obtain an electrical safety certificate from reputable professionals. Multicerts provides EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) from £109.99 for 1/2 bed and 3/5 bed for £129.99.

The overall cost of the inspection will also depend on the number of circuits and consumer units/fuse boxes. Obtaining an up-to-date electrical safety certificate is crucial for your peace of mind and the safety of your home or investment property.

What Does An EICR Check?

The primary purpose of the EICR Inspection is to detect any significant electrical issues within a property's electrical systems and installations.

This inspection involves a visual assessment of the electrical systems and comprehensive testing of relevant components, both inside (such as the main system cables, electrical distribution boards, etc.) and outside (including light fittings, switches, and sockets).

Dead testing, Live testing, and RCD testing are some tests conducted during the inspection. However, it is important to note that these tests will require a short power outage.

The duration of the inspection necessary for the Electrical Safety Certification to be completed may depend on several factors, such as the property's size, age, complexity of the power systems, and the number of circuits. Identifying significant electrical issues during the inspection may also extend the inspection period.

In summary, tests for the electrical certificate comprise a Visual Inspection, Dead Testing, Live Testing, and, if needed, RCD testing.

Visual Inspection

Initially, the electrician will examine the premises and the electrical systems involved to detect any apparent problems.

Dead Testing

After the visual inspection, the electrician will proceed with Dead Testing, which involves three stages: Insulation Resistance Testing, Continuity Testing, and Polarity Testing.

The purpose of these tests is to identify any defective electrical connections, ensure that insulation is present and functioning properly to prevent electric shocks, and verify that everything is correctly connected.

Live Testing

Together, these tests guarantee that the electrical system can promptly shut down in case of a significant issue or crisis, avoiding any potentially hazardous circumstances or additional harm.

RCD Testing

RCD tests may also be conducted on newer electrical systems' residual-current devices (RCDs), which are installed for fire safety reasons.

Will The Electrician Need To Turn Off The Power?

Yes, there will be a brief period of power interruption during the testing of each circuit.

How Long Does It Take?

The length of time required for the completion of the EICR Certificate, or Electrical Certificate, varies significantly and depends on several factors, including the property size, the number of circuits, the complexity of the electrical installation, and any issues identified during the inspection.

Typically, a small apartment may take approximately 45mins/1 hour, while a larger property may take between three to four hours.

Can I Fail The EICR Certificate?

Yes, if any part of the system is found to be unsafe or not appropriate by the engineer, they have the authority to label the installation as 'unsatisfactory', which means that the issues need to be addressed before the property can be rented out.

What Happens After The Inspection For The EICR Certificate?

It may take a few days to receive the results of the electrical safety certification since the engineer will need to upload their findings digitally and email them to you.

If the electrical system in your property meets the required standards, the report will be marked as 'satisfactory.' However, if it does not meet current requirements, the report will be classified as 'unsatisfactory,' indicating that the necessary work must be done to bring the installation up to the required level.

The report will also indicate which part of the electrical system failed the test and why. During an EICR examination, four codes are used, and if you receive any C1, C2, or F1 codes, the inspection will be deemed 'unsatisfactory.'

Remedial work.

If a C1 fault is identified in your electrical safety certificate, the assessor may take immediate action to shut down the property or carry out remedial work as soon as possible.

If a C2 code is noted in your EICR certificate, the landlord must carry out the necessary repairs within 28 days, as required by UK law.

After the repairs have been completed, the landlord must inform the tenants and local authorities in writing that the necessary repairs have been carried out within the specified timeframe.

The landlord must also provide written confirmation to both the tenant and local authority that the required work has been completed within the 28-day period.

How Much Does An EPC Certificate Cost?

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) typically costs anywhere from £55 to £120 (inclusive of VAT). Several factors, such as the property type and the number of bedrooms determine the actual cost. Our charges are £59.99 for 1/3 bed and £69.99 for 4/6 bed inc VAT.

You cannot personally issue an EPC and may be offered this service by an estate or letting agent. Nevertheless, to secure the most favourable EPC rate, it's advisable to have the evaluation done directly.

What does the Rating mean?

The Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rates a property's energy efficiency levels from A-G, with A being the most efficient and G being the least. Currently, the average UK home has a rating of D-E. The higher the rating, the more energy-efficient the building is.

It's important to note that a low EPC rating may result in additional costs to obtain a certificate. If the rating is below E, renting or selling the property is illegal, and it can also negatively affect the property's value and salability. Thus, paying for an EPC certificate is worthwhile to improve the home's energy efficiency.

The energy efficiency of properties is graded on a sliding bar graph similar to the labels when buying new electrical devices. The graph uses a colour scale from green to red to indicate energy requirements or consumption. The EPC certificate shows the current and potential ratings for the Energy Efficiency Rating and the Environmental Impact (CO2) Rating.

What happens if I don’t have an EPC?

If your property lacks a valid Energy Performance Certificate, it is illegal to rent it out. Local authorities may impose a fine of up to £5,000 for noncompliance. The penalty for not having a valid EPC of ‘C’ or above will increase to £30,000 when regulations are updated in 2025.

At the start of the tenancy, or as soon as possible, you must provide your tenant with a copy of the EPC if you have renewed the certificate while they are renting. Landlords are legally obligated to give tenants the government’s How to Rent guide, EICR, and Gas Safety Certificate. Failure to supply these legal documents will prevent you from issuing a Section 21 notice.

What Happens On An EPC inspection ?

One of our accredited assessors will conduct a thorough visual inspection of your property to determine its EPC rating. The assessor will require access to all areas of the property to gather relevant details and measurements to provide an accurate rating and prepare a comprehensive report.

The assessor will consider several factors when evaluating a residential, commercial, or public building and calculating its EPC rating. The heating system installed in the property will have the most significant impact on the rating, including the size, type, and thermostat settings. It is crucial to maintain normal thermostat settings to obtain an accurate rating.

The lighting fixtures in the property will also be noted, including the number and type of fixtures in each room. Replacing any incandescent or CFL fixtures with LED ones can significantly reduce energy consumption and improve the property's energy rating.

Windows play a smaller role in EPC calculations, but replacing single-glazed windows with double-glazed ones can significantly improve the rating due to increased insulation.

The assessor will also pay attention to loft insulation, as the lack of it can cause up to 33% of heat loss in a home. The EPC calculations will also consider doors, hot water pipe insulation, and any renewable energy technology installed in the property.

How do I improve An EPC rating?

Once the EPC assessor completes the inspection of your property, they will issue a valid Energy Performance Certificate. The certificate will include a detailed breakdown of the energy efficiency of the building, rated from A to G, using a grading system.

If your building is given a poor rating, it indicates it is not energy efficient. In most cases, properties with poor ratings will need to make improvements to increase the energy efficiency of the building. These improvements are usually recommended in the energy performance certificate.

However, these improvements require funds, some of which can be costly and significantly impact your finances.

To save money and prevent such costs, it's better to be proactive and have an EPC inspection before it becomes too late.

Before booking an EPC inspection, there are several ways to improve your home's energy performance. Some of these include insulating your home to reduce heat loss, installing double glazing or secondary glazing, draught-proofing doors and windows, using low-energy light bulbs, using a thermostat to control your central heating, closing doors to unused rooms, and considering renewable energy technologies like solar panels or wind turbines.

It is worth noting that providing energy-efficient buildings helps reduce carbon footprints and adds value to the property.

How Long Does The Inspection Take?

On average, an Energy Performance Certificate survey takes around 20 minutes for a studio apartment to an hour for larger family homes. The size of the property is the main factor determining the duration of the survey, but the property's layout also plays a role.

How Do I Get An Energy Performance Certificate?

As EPCs are now a legal requirement when selling or renting a building, it is crucial to understand how to obtain one for your property. To acquire an Energy Performance Certificate, you must enlist the services of a certified energy assessor, who will conduct an energy assessment of your property by inspecting the building.

During the inspection, the energy assessor will look at the heating system and other important parts of the building. If necessary, they may also need to take measurements and photos.

The length of an inspection usually depends on how big the property is and how fast the energy assessor works. Most of the time, though, the exam is not a long process.

After the assessment is done, the data collected by the assessor will be used to create the Energy Performance Certificate, this  data is entered into software, which then figures out both the current rating and the potential rating.

Can You Fail An EPC?

No minimum requirements need to be met when selling a property except for having a valid Energy Performance Certificate. However, a minimum requirement has been put in place for rental properties. If the property does not meet the minimum requirement of an 'E' rating, tenants will not be allowed to move in.

What does the Rating mean?

The Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rates a property's energy efficiency levels from A-G, with A being the most efficient and G being the least. Currently, the average UK home has a rating of D-E. The higher the rating, the more energy-efficient the building is.

It's important to note that a low EPC rating may result in additional costs to obtain a certificate. If the rating is below E, renting or selling the property is illegal, and it can also negatively affect the property's value and salability. Thus, paying for an EPC certificate is worthwhile to improve the home's energy efficiency.

The energy efficiency of properties is graded on a sliding bar graph similar to the labels when buying new electrical devices. The graph uses a colour scale from green to red to indicate energy requirements or consumption. The EPC certificate shows the current and potential ratings for the Energy Efficiency Rating and the Environmental Impact (CO2) Rating.

Can I Market Or Rent My Property Before I Receive The EPC?

Before advertising your property for sale or rent, it is mandatory to obtain an EPC for prospective tenants or buyers.

What Is The Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) Legislation?

Starting from April 2018, Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) became legally binding for privately owned properties in England and Wales. The law requires all properties to have an EPC rating of at least 'E' before being let. From April 2020, this law will apply to existing lettings of residential properties, and from April 2023, it will apply to existing commercial properties.

However, there are some exemptions to the MEES regulation. Properties not legally required to have an EPC, such as listed buildings, temporary properties, and holiday lets, are unaffected. Short-term rentals (less than six months) and long-term rentals (over 99 years) are also exempt.

To meet the "Golden Rule," landlords and tenants must make cost-effective changes to their properties to achieve an EPC rating of E or above. An independent energy assessor must sign these changes. For commercial properties, all energy investments must be cost-effective within a seven-year period.

If the necessary energy-efficiency improvements would reduce a property's market value by more than 5%, the property is exempt from MEES. A qualified independent surveyor must assess the potential impact on the property's value. In addition, if a tenant, superior landlord, or planning body refuses to consent or requires conditions that the landlord cannot meet, the landlord can claim an exemption based on third-party consent.

MEES only applies to buildings occupied under a "Relevant Tenancy," which includes assured tenancies, regulated tenancies, and domestic agricultural tenancies. Properties occupied solely under a license are not affected. Social housing schemes are also exempt from MEES.

How Do I Know If I Already Have One?

Checking if you already have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) online is an easy process since all EPC certificates are recorded in the national database. Since an EPC certificate is valid for ten years, it's possible that some people may not be aware if the previous owner had one issued or may simply forget. The process of checking for an EPC online is free of charge and doesn't require any EPC certificate costs.

What Certificates Do Landlords Need?

Landlord Gas Safety Certificate

Landlords are legally obligated to arrange a gas safety check by a Gas Safe registered engineer for all gas appliances and fixtures. This requirement ensures tenant safety and helps landlords avoid financial penalties, legal consequences, or imprisonment.

The resulting document, known as a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate, Gas Safety Record, or CP12, confirms the safety of these gas appliances in rented properties.

Landlords are legally required to have a Gas safety certificate every year for rental properties.

Landlord gas safety certificate

Landlord Electrical Safety Certificate

An EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) is a safety assessment of a property's electrical installations. Conducted by a qualified electrician, it identifies and categorizes potential electrical hazards. Categories range from C1 (immediate danger) to C3 (improvement recommended).

Landlords are legally required to have an EICR every five years for rental properties.

Landlord EPC Certificate

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) assessment evaluates a property's energy efficiency. It rates properties from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient).

The certificate provides the current energy rating, potential improvements, estimated energy costs, and savings suggestions. It's required when a property is sold, rented, or built.

Landlords are legally required to have an EPC every ten years for rental properties.

Landlord EPC Certificate

Help & Advice

 Still have questions?

Call Us